Seeking: Horticulture Publications Intern
Through editing and online research, intern will assist Dr. Bob Randall in the updating, layout, and publication of his new edition of Year Round Vegetable and Fruit Gardening for Houston and Southeast Texas. The most recent 12th edition of the 300-page book has been in print since 2006 and is popular among serious food gardeners and farmers, but is out of date due to changes in organic horticulture, climate change, and many other factors. Dr. Randall is well along with the revisions with many innovations.
Start Date: by semester, Summer 2017 June to August; and/or Fall 2017 September to December.
Compensation: Volunteer Internship. Intern will learn about the role that horticultural information plays in creating functioning food systems to encourage healthy communities. Intern will gain understanding of the functions, goals, and workings of the non-profit sector, including hands-on interaction with a major leader in the development of the non-profit food sustainability sector in the Houston area.
To Apply: email resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Discription: Horticultural Book Editing Assistant
- Assist with examination, assessment and layout changes to MS Word 12th edition.
- Incorporate and replace revised chapters.
- Investigate and evaluate publishing options both in print, online downloading, and via web—photos, tables, longer support documents. Make recommendations to Dr. Randall.
- In collaboration with Dr. Randall, research 12th edition references; update with search / URL info.
- Depending on interest and skill, write on horticultural topics and interview growers.
Communication, Leadership, Outreach
· Attend weekly training and collaboration meetings; communicate remotely on a regular basis.
· Support the mission of improving sustainable and regenerative agriculture.
· Learn non-profit leadership skills through mentorship by Dr. Randall.
Student Qualities/Experiences Desired/Qualifications and Requirements
- Detail oriented, excellent organizational and communication skills, including independent writing skills
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, research and interest in desktop publishing
- Interest in nutrition and food horticulture, organics, sustainability and or permaculture.
- Computer work at Urban Harvest and remotely; meetings in Southwest Houston w author
- Candidates must have a valid driver's license and transportation.
- Currently enrolled undergratuate or graduate student.