URBAN HARVEST, INC.
We are seeking a dynamic professional to join our team and assist us in cultivating thriving communities through gardening and access to healthy, local food.
The mission of Urban Harvest is to cultivate thriving communities through gardening and access to healthy, local foods.
Urban Harvest is a private nonprofit organization that envisions a healthier city where everyone has access to locally grown, nutritious food harvested from sustainable community gardens and farms. Our work addresses urban hunger, neighborhood revitalization, and better food for everyone. Urban Harvest staff and volunteers address these issues by promoting farmers' markets, providing gardening education for all ages, and supporting and building a network of community and school gardens throughout the greater Houston area. These projects improve food access and promote local food sources while helping people work productively, sustainably, and creatively on the land.
Urban Harvest is led by a 13-member Board of Directors. Work of the organization is conducted through committees, volunteerism, and a hardworking staff of 9. Funding is provided by private foundations, corporations, community organizations, individuals, Houston area school districts, farmers markets, memberships, fruit tree sales and fundraising events.
BOOKKEEPER, A PART TIME POSITION
Compensation: Starting $20/hour. Benefits: paid time off, health, dental and vision insurance.
Hours: 9:00am - 3pm; Monday – Friday; 30 hours weekly.
Start Date: March 20th
To apply: Submit resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
● General accounting activities, payroll, invoicing, QuickBooks tracking of projects and budget stream. Maintain accounts payable record; receivables/collections.
● Prepare analysis of accounts and reports as needed.
● Monitor accounts to ensure payments are up to date.
● Submit and reconcile expense reports.
● Maintain files and financial data subject to annual audit.
● Maintain customer confidence and protect operations by keeping information confidential.
● Manage Excel spreadsheets and data entry.
● Assist in HR. Follow state guidelines in managing required background checks.
● Submit Request for Proposals (RFP) in Spring and Fall.
● File reimbursements and requests for procurement of supplies.
● Maintain files and paperwork for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
● Maintain liability insurance compliance for Urban Harvest Farmers Market vendors.
● Attend weekly staff meetings.
● Education: Associate's degree or equivalent work experience in an accounting function.
● Proven ability to organize and prioritize work and manage multiple priorities.
● Excellent attention to detail and follow through.
● Ability to research, analyze data and retain data.
● Ability to work independently and initiate tasks.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
● Proficient use of QuickBooks, Microsoft Office application and internet resources.
● This position is subject to a criminal background check.
● Excellent customer service skills to represent Urban Harvest positively to individuals, schools, business, and corporations who we serve from a variety of socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
Urban Harvest is an equal employment opportunity employer. We recruit, screen, hire, applicants and promote qualified employees without regard to ethnicity, race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual preference or creed.
FEATURED SCHOOL GARDEN
Kids Market Day!
at Gregory-Lincoln Education Center-PVA
Our Kid-grown, kid-sold market will be held this year on Saturday, March 23, 2019.
This farmers market will be run entirely by kids and students. All proceeds are sown back into the school gardens and culinary programs to promote experiential learning opportunities for students.
Where: Gregory-Lincoln Education Center
1101 Taft St, 77019
When: Saturday, 3/23/19